Vought XF8U-1 Crusader
Museum's Crusader is the Prototype airplane, BuNo 138899. After
being completed at the Vought factory near Dallas, it was trucked to
Edwards Air Force Base where it made its first flight March 25, 1955.
Test Pilot John Konrad took the airplane supersonic on this
flight, the first time it had ever been done with any fighter on its
'899' made 509 flights during five years of flight testing, after which
it was donated to the Smithsonian NASM in 1960. After being
stored at the Silver Hill, MD restoration facility for a number of
years, and a few other intermediate stops, the airplane was moved to
the Museum of Flight's Restoration Center in Everett, Washington, where
it is currently under restoration.
Museum of Flight Restoration Center - Everett, Washington
that Craig Wall has done on the cockpit is nothing short of
amazing.Craig gets 99% of the credit for doing a fantastic job on the
painting, wind screen installation, all the chassis installations
and the sheet metal work. Photos by Jim Goodall.
F8 Crusader Organization - "The
Gunfighter" - all things 'Sader
of Flight Description
Operational Images are Vought Photos via Steve &
Robert A. Bogash. All Rights Reserved
Revised 9 Apr 2012